Skip to main content

                                    This  was my Moby Dick Moment!

BACKGROUND: Washington National Opera premiered on the east coat the new American opera Moby Dick, February 22 to March 8.  Written by composer Jake Heggie and featuring an English-  language libretto by Gene Scheer based on Herman Melville’s 19th-century literary classic.   

I have never read Moby Dick, so I was literally thrown into an ocean on this one: Where to begin before I went to show?

As an aside, most reviews tell you about what the reviewer  saw but first I want to show you what I saw and heard (something that is the miracle of the web that we can not do in print) so I am posting the selections the Kennedy Center put on line. 

Watch and Listen









I started by asking  others about what they thought of the book.

Have you ever Read Moby Dick?

Maybe this is not the greatest pick up line or conversation starter but I have discovered recently that it is a question no one can resist answering.

There is no simple yes or no response.  There is always some explanation, such as
“Yes, when I was a kid,” 

 Really?   Half of it is about the 19th century whaling industry and half of it is a bible for those who believe in predestination explained everything whether we liked it or not.

There is the humble “No, but I knew someone who tried once.” 

So, did you like it.  

The most truthful answer I have heard was, “Well you aren’t suppose to like it.”

One woman said “I hated it!”  This is a good choice because Melville is supposed to have said to a woman friend that (not only did he not want women in the book)  he did not want women to read it.

Then I ask, how many pages was it? 

Some people  say a lot, maybe 900.

 I have googled Amazon editions.  The best I come up with is the Penguin complete original with 754 pages some of which are probably blank sheet.

I am beginning to see this is the question that should be used in lie detectors.

I am suddenly happy about having gone to a Catholic school where Moby Dick with its thunderous doctrine of predestination would have been condemned as heresy.   (There was the the famous Index Librorum Prohibitorum of such books then, but apparently Moby Dick was both too long for anyone to read and American so why  bother to put it there.) 

I ask myself So why Moby Dick?  

I found a treasure of a book by Nathaniel Philbrick who addresses that very question, Why Read Moby-Dick?   It is clear that  Moby Dick whether read or not remains fixed as a symbol of  American literary effort to be epic. 

Besides reasons based its own merit, it has passed all all its initial requirements that are cherished by aspiring writers who like to remember that it was not well received at the time. 

It has provided further work for other industries like  the grinding academic halls where it is placed on the mantle between Edgar Allen Poe and William Faulkner, and for the historians who see it as a prophetic work of the Civil War, the war on terrorism and he doom of destroying mother nature in our own time.

Ahab has been a screen role for both John Barrymore and Gregory Peck.  Set designers got to create that great ship of a pulpit for Orson Welles to thunder forth in what is equal to the special effects when Ahab does meet his whale at the
end of the movie.

And let us not forget --Starbuck has given his name to a coffee chain.

 If this isn’t epic scope--well can the same be said for Beowulf for instance?

But I digress.  

Dear reader, if you are still with me, this is my message.

BOTTOM LINE: There is a new answer to that question  Have you read Moby Dick?  

And that is for us, the audience of thousands who can say now, No, but I have seen the opera. 

And if asked  But why see Moby Dick the opera

The answer is not mine, but in that previews with which I started: musical moments both lyrical and dramatic, scenes both highly personal and broadly universal, themes that as old as mankind but presented with the aids of  the latest technology.

There is another answer.  I woke up one morning hearing one of the melodies from Moby Dick. And after I left another epic-into-opera production, The Met’s production of Borodin’s  Prince Igor this week, I heard someone loudly singing its hit song in the Metro. Moby Dick is a new opera for sure, and its place in the opera pantheon is not secure, but that I still hear it is, well reason enough for now.



Popular posts from this blog

  Once is here again!   The Brooklyn Gallery Players reach into the treasure chest of great musicals to bring Once alive and on stage in Brooklyn (until to December 17, 2023). Director Mark Gallagher , and Music Directors David Fletcher and Brendon McCray have crafted a vibrant production, seamlessly integrating the 15 member cast in roles  as both actors and musicians. Set in Dublin, the  formula for the poignant love triangle  is simple. Patrick Newhart  plays Guy, an Irish musician who has given up  on love as he sings the award winning classic  Falling.  Newhart mastered the bombastic busking guitar style and performed each of his songs with intensity and passion Sophie Smith-Brody  is Girl,  a Czech woman  who will inspire him to try again both in  love and with music. Smith-Brody performed each of her disparate songs with aplomb,  from the opening classical piece to her plaintive solos – If You Want Me and The Hill.  The performance starts  with an “ impromptu”  p
               TINA - THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL  at The National Theatre              In the 1970s, I  had spent weeks climbing around ruins in Peru.  I heard music of the Andes all over.  I  was  finally at  Machu Picchu to spend the night so I could get up early  and climb to see the sunrise from the top of the ruins.   As I got to steps by the gatekeepe,  I could hear his boom box blaring across the Andes “I Wanna Take You Higher”  by Tina Turner.   You don’t have to go climbing the Andes to hear her songs — Tina-The Tina Turner Musical  isright here  at the National Theatre, Washington DC,  until  Oct. 23, 2022.    The show has broken all records with the awards it has received since in premiered in April 2018 in London.  No one questions that Tina is a musical legend but  for this show  accolades to  the stars Naomi Rodgers and Zurin Villanueva who alternate in the  spectacular role.   At every performance there will be people  who remember seeing Tina “back when” and
  Sarah Ruhl’s Orlando — sparkling wit and ageless wisdom —   at   Constellation Theatre — gone but not forgotten In Virginia Woolf’s Orlando A Biography ,  the eponymous hero undergoes many changes over the centuries— from roles in society and relationships to sex change.  Since the time travel gender bending work was published in 1928, this his/her story has continued to undergone adaptions to its original form, from analytical scholarly critiques to crowd pleasing  movies and stage plays.  Constellation Theatre Company continued  the tradition with its amazing presentation of Sarah Ruhl’s narrative play Orlando .    Five actors  take on dozens of roles as characters or in the  chorus to keep the story at its rapid pace,  condensing events spanning almost five centuries into 100 minutes.   Orlando (Mary Myers) is  ever the aristocrat whether as a page in the court of  Queen Elizabeth I (Alan Naylor)  or involved with a mysterious Russian princess (Edmee - Marie Faal) or pursued